The safest way to get sun-kissed skin is through a sunless tanner, but if you’re like me and spending a lot of time outside this summer, a natural glow is almost unavoidable. My daughter loves to spend hours in the pool so I am getting a dark tan for the first time in a very very long time – and yes, I use sunscreen daily. Here are my tips for keeping your skin healthy this summer:
1. Use a natural sunscreen. I apply it before leaving the house in the morning and again before going to the pool. It’s important to apply it at least 30 min before going into the water so it can be absorbed. Mineral suncreens provide a great sun block, however I find them very streaky and not that pleasant to apply. My choice is Alba Botanica Sunscreen for Kids, SPF 40. Works for both my daughter and I. Neither of us have had a sunburn when using it even after 2 hours in the pool.
2. Protect your face. My favorite skin care line is Sensé Beautiful Science and I use the *Daytime Protective Emulsion with SPF 15 for my face. I apply in the morning and will reapply when I am going to the pool. It works really well and feels amazing on your skin.
3. Wear a hat and sunglasses. A wide-brimmed hat provides extra protection for your ears and face, I wear a hat in the pool. Sunglasses are essential for eye protection as water reflects even more of the sun’s ray on to your face and eyes. I have given up on getting my daughter to wear hers in the pool now that she is swimming. I reapply her sunscreen during our swim breaks to help.
4. Rinse off immediately if possible after swimming in a pool or hot tub with chlorine. Your skin will be much drier if you leave the pool chemicals on too long.
5. After you shower, use my secret weapon: *Firming Body Nourisher. I LOVE this stuff. It smells lovely (mild citrus) and goes on nicely, not too thick or thin. I have been using this for 9 years and it’s a product I cannot do without. Great for keeping your skin moisturized and avoids the flaking tan.
6. Keep your skin hydrated by drinking lots of water, especially when you are swimming. You may not notice that you are thirsty when you’re in the water and but you can get very dehydrated from the water and the sun.
7. Take extra care of your skin from the inside out with *Proflavanol C100 – a combo of grapeseed extract and vitamin C that is a ‘facelift in a bottle’ according to Dr. Libby Weaver. It helps to plump up the collagen in our skin, especially on our faces.
8. Shade is your friend. Take breaks in the shade when possible.
Find Alba Suncreen at your local grocery store in the organic section.
*To order the Daytime Protection, Firming Body Nourisher or Proflavanol C100, please visit www.julieboyer.usana.com