There are nights when you’re not really sure what to make and you just stare at the food in your fridge and pantry. This simple pasta dish was created on one of those nights.
2 cups favorite gluten-free pasta
1 cup green veggie: edamame, peas or broccoli (chopped)
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
1 cup almond milk or coconut milk or water
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Hot sauce or chillies to taste (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Add veggies to boiling water in last 2-3 minutes to cook with the pasta.
3. In a high speed blender, make sauce. Combine raw cashews (drained), almond milk and nutritional yeast and blend until smooth. The longer you soak the cashews, the smoother it will be.
4. Drain pasta and veggies.
5. In a large sauce pan or in empty pasta pot, gently heat the sauce until it starts the thicken. Add pasta and veggies. If sauce is too thick, simply add water.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Add hot sauce to taste.
With so many simple substitutions, this is easy to make with ingredients you have on hand. I tend to keep a bag of raw cashews and nutritional yeast in my pantry at all times.
Never tried a vegan ‘cheese’ before? Let me know how you enjoyed this one!