As winter draws to a close, who doesn’t love a great comfort food recipe? This is a great healthy alternative to traditional mac n cheese, without losing the amazing yummy taste of a classic.
Gluten-Free Mac n Cheese with Broccoli and Peas
I adapted this recipe from Mind Body Green, original recipe by Chef Silvia Bianco. It’s a huge success with our family and no one knew it didn’t have any cheese. The result is a huge portion of mac n cheese that would serve 5-6 adults. This is a must try comfort food alternative.
- 1 lb. gluten-free pasta (I use ¾ of a 227g bag of rice elbow macaroni)
- 1 large or 2 small broccoli crowns, chopped
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 4-5 sun-dried tomatoes halves, cut in a 1/4” strips and then in 1/4″ dice
- 1 ½ tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 fresh garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 Tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup of gluten-free bread crumbs and 1 ½ tbsp. of Earth Balance for the topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Make the cashew cream by soaking the cashews in water for at least 20 minutes. Add nuts and water to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Prep all ingredients before going onto the next steps.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water, but drain when still quite firm to the touch (cook for ½ of the lesser cooking time on the package). Add the broccoli in the last 2 minutes of cook time.
- Place a large (at least 10”) sauté pan over medium heat, and add the oil.
- Add the garlic and cook just until the garlic begins to color.
- Lower the heat to med-low, add the cashew cream, paprika and the nutritional yeast. Season with salt and pepper and stir to incorporate. Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to reduce and thicken for a couple of minutes. Add approx. ¼ cup filtered water if it’s too thick.
- Stir cream in the pasta (put back in the large saucepan) and follow with the broccoli, peas and sun-dried tomatoes. Add a bit more water if too thick.
- Add the pasta and sauce to a large, deep baking dish.
- Melt the Earth Balance and mix with the bread crumbs. Spread over the top of the pasta.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes; and then cook under the broiler for 2 minutes or just until the toppings turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve. Add a dash of tabasco for a kick!